Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few


Cooler weather has finally arrived in northern IL and the fields, as is this one next to our home, are beginning to be harvested. I have always enjoyed observing the weather and appreciating the world that God has made. The more I read the Bible and the more I read of how often God was pleased to have the writers of Scriptures draw from the created world principles to help explain spiritual truths, my observations of the created world often remind me of the Scriptures. When I hear the wind blowing through corn, I am reminded of the psalm that says: " The valleys also are covered with grain; They shout for joy, they also sing." It is a marvelous thing to behold that which God has made and this created being praises his God for it.

As I observe the machinery moving slowly down the roads en route to the fields and later opserve grain carts heavily laden with corn and beans, I am reminded of the many passages that speak of harvest time. I enjoy this time of year, partly because I really dislike the heat and humidity and enjoy the winter. The first chilly, fall days fill me with an anticipation of winter. I like the long nights, the crisp mornings, and white snow. The coffee tastes better and in the winter I sometimes actually can find an evening with nothing to do but read a good book!

Paul reminds the Corinthians that those who sow sparingly shall also reap sparingly. If these farmers put forth no effort and expense in the spring, they could leave the combines in the barn when harvest times comes. I pray that God will instill in our hearts the desire to be full of good works. I hope that we all will be a people that sow bountifully.

I am also reminded of Christ's words to the disciples: "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth laborers into his harvest."

Our church subscribes loosely to the 1689 London Baptist Confession of faith. We are among the minority of Baptists these days that believe that God is sovereign in all things. Historically, the majority of Baptists embraced the doctrines of grace, but sadly through the period of Arminian-based revivalism that surfaced in the late nineteenth century, the Baptist denomination spiraled downward into Arminianism.

Many of those who resist the doctrines of grace often accuse Calvinists of being unwilling to evangelize. This is actually a slanderous accusation, considering the fact that the vast majority of Calvinists do believe in the free offer of the gospel and that some of the greatest lasting revivals occurred under the preaching and teaching of Calvinistic men. Spurgeon once commented that if God had chosen to mark the elect with a red X on their backs that he would run around London pulling up their shirts. Since He did not, he added, he would preach the gospel to every creature and allow God to give the increase.

In the area in which I live, it would seem that conversions are scarce these days. It saddens me that we have seen so few brought to a saving knowledge of Christ and added to the church. Our church has grown - babies are being born and occasionally a family who is distraught with the lack of teaching in their own church seeks refuge in ours. I am content to allow God to build the church as He sees fit, but I also wish to make sure that I am faithful to preach the gospel of Christ. Hopefully, we both recognize and believe that our life is but a vapor. We have heard it said a million times before, but each day people from the area breathe their last and slip into eternity.

Let us pray that God will aid us in being faithful laborers and that we would truly be willing to plant and water, leaning upon God's soverein good pleasure to give the increase as it pleases Him. Paul said, " How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!"

My prayer is that I simply would be one who sows much - and that I would be faithful to preach the gospel. I trust that you will pray with me, in entreating our Lord to send forth laborers into the harvest.

Bob

3 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

Your first comment. I'm so happy to be the first commenter.....

Oh bye the way is it okay if I start actually linking to your site.

Thanks Bob. Blessings in Christ.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

oh bye the way I liked your article, it was good. I personally love the 1689 confession as well.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Missouri Rev said...

Thanks for the great post. God has chosen the preaching of the Gospel to every creature under the sun as the means by which mankind is to believe and convert. Being Sovereign and All Powerful, He also causes it to go forth in power as people from all tribes, tongues, and nations turn to Him in obedience. By this we Calvinists have assurance that when we sow the Word by God’s grace that it will reap a harvest to His glory. Thanks for the encouraging posting, may the Lord, indeed, send many more into His harvest.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home