Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

From death unto life



When our family drove through Death Valley last spring, we were fortunate to have visited following one of the wettest winters on records. The desert floor was full of various species of blooming plant life and it was truly a beautiful sight to behold. I was amazed to see flowering plants thriving out of a sandy and rocky soil that seemed like it would be impossibe to sustain vegetation.

We visited during the month of April and the temperatures were only around 90. Soon the searing heat and dry conditions would have their toll and the plants would cease flowering, go to seed, and die - leaving behind only a lanscape void of life, a vast collection of sand, boulders, and rock. Hidden to the human eye, though, would be seeds covered by a waxy material that would protect the seed from the harsh elements, lying dormant for as long as 30 years awaiting another wet winter in which they would sprout and once again cover the desert valley floor. That God could be pleased to display His glory and majesty by so clothing the desert floor is one of the reasons that we delight to praise His holy name.

The greatest display of God's grace and mercy is His desire to save His people by sending His spirit to regenerate the wicked the hearts of those who are dead in their trespasses and sins. What a delight it is to know God's transforming saving grace in giving us the ability and desire to behold the beauty of His Son. How marvelous it is that we, who were once enemies of God, hating the light which is Christ, are the very instruments that God uses to preach the gospel to those who are as yet dead in their trespasses and sins.

I list one of my favorite passages below, a prophecy by the prophet Ezekiel in which he speaks of the delivery of Israel from their captivity. The prophecy also aptly desribes the regenerating work of the Spirit of God in the hearts of men and portrays the power of God, in whom we have placed our faith and believe that He shall be able to raise us up in the last day.

Ezekiel 37:1-14

¶ The hand of the LORD came upon me and brought me out in the
Spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full
of bones. Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there
were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry.


And He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" So I answered, "O Lord
GOD, You know." Again He said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to
them, ‘O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD! ‘Thus says the Lord GOD to
these bones: "Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall
live. "I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with
skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. Then you shall know that I am
the LORD."‘"

So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and suddenly a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to bone. Indeed, as
I looked, the sinews and the flesh came upon them, and the skin covered them
over; but there was no breath in them. Also He said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: "Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live."‘"

So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army. Then He said to me, "Son
of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, ‘Our bones
are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!’ 2 "Therefore prophesy
and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: "Behold, O My people, I will open your
graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of
Israel. "Then you shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O My people, and brought you up from your graves. "I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the LORD, have spoken it and performed it," says the LORD.’"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful portion of God's Word. Thank you for bringing it to mind.

I often pray withmy family before a meal using the words "that everything on this table died, save maybe the salt, so that we might live. And this reminds us that Jesus Christ also died so that we might have life and have it eternally."

All the world shows forth God's haniwork, He is a great God and greatly to be praised!

Good post!
David

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home