Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Monday, February 13, 2006

A trip to Holland!


Well, to make sure that I am not misunderstood, we were able to journey this past weekend to Holland, Michigan, and actually, there was about three inches of snow on the ground and the trees were dark and ghastly, seemingly void of any life. While we were there, we observed a massive army of squirrels, and if they are as fond of tulips as are the ones that dug mine up a couple years ago and ate them, I am uncertain whether this spring's tulip festival will be anywhere near as grand as the photo!

I enjoy visiting Holland, Michigan. In fact, setting aside the area in which we reside, I think this area is one of the most agreeable habitats that I have observed. It is bordered to the west by Lake Michigan, which tempers the bitter bite of the Midwest winter winds, but also serves to cool the hot, southwest winds of summer. The sandy soil of the region and the ample rainfall provides a favorable environment for fruit production, and within the city limits you can find acres of orchards, blueberries, and vineyards. I am rather partial to the blueberry fields and am intrigued by the vineyards. I have planted both on our property and thus far I have had no grapes, 5 pea sized blueberries, and 5 fat rabbits who constantly worry them. Thankfully, our friends pick some blueberries and freeze them for us so that we can enjoy their bounty when we visit. In fact, as I type this, I find my belly swollen with the two slabs of blueberry pie that Rachel made for me today!

We visited some dear friends of ours, Vic and Bev Edwards, who were the first people that we met in person after establishing an internet relationship. Our frienship was established back in the day of the 2800 baud modem, thanks to the invention of a former vice president who was at least engaged in some activity while his boss was chasing around the college interns. They (The Edwards, that is, not the politicians) are both dear friends of ours and have shown our family an incredible display of kindness and generosity. We have been able to help them on a few projects and every visit, whether for work or play, are centered on discussions (sometimes lively arguments!) over various theological topics.

Vic pastors Spurgeon Heritage Church, a baptist church much like ours that seeks to embrace and teach the doctrines that once defined the historical Baptist chuch. You can find Pastor Vic's blog here: http://xchristianity.blogspot.com He describes himself as a small "r" reformed, but capital "B" Baptist. While I prefer "R"eformed "b"aptist myself, we find much to agree and even those occasions in which we don't, I am pretty sure that he secretly believes that I am right but feels that he is to old or stubborn to admit it!

One of my favorite things in this world to do is to meet the saints that are faithfully serving and worshipping God. It is a great joy to enjoy the sweet communion of the saints and I was pleased to be able to attend services there Sunday morning and to even have an opportunity preach a message there. I am saddened for the listeners, for they were forced to endure what the people in our church have to put up with this week, but I trust that they were to find something of use in the words that were shared. I rejoice and praise God for these dear saints and I trust that God will be pleased to bless them as they labor to advance the gospel and to train and edify the saints that God adds to their church. I trust that you will be faithful to pray for the dear saints that labor faithfully around this globe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

Wow sounds like a great little day with the fam in Michigan.

I like the Gore quote as well....

See you,
Shawn

8:05 AM  
Blogger Vic Edwards said...

I am glad to see that you could benefit and enjoy the visit, Bob, though it was kind of dreary while you were here. We enjoyed the time together and as usual, found it much too short for our liking.

As for our theologial views,you may well be right: you are always right, but I am indeed so stubborn that I will not admit it. But you ought to be ashamed of yourself for crediting someone else for inventing the Internet when you know full well it was I who invented it! I am still waiting for the royalty checks to start coming in. Have you sent yours?

Keep in touch, dearest brother of mine. We love you all very much.

Vic

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home