Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

A new table


A couple years ago I purchased some roughsawn red oak boards with the intent of making us a nice dining room table. I selected boards that had been quartersawn, for I have a tendency to enjoy the furniture that was developed through the arts and crafts style. Perhaps you have heard rumors to the effect that the cobbler's children were often in want of good shoes?! Well, the rumor is often correct!

I decided four years ago to purchase some woodworking tools and while it was my intent to try to produce some of our income from home, I had hoped to be able to make things for my wife, family, and friends. I have been able to build a few pieces in these categories, but since I have purchased my tools, I have always had paying jobs on the docket!

I finally took a break and decided that two years was a long enough wait, so I spent a couple weeks building our table. Although we both liked the idea of having a solid, massive table, our house just doesn't have the space to accomodate. I compromised by building the table with two leaves. When fully extended, it measures 42" wide by 96" long. For everyday use, we take one of the leaves out. We are now using it and I have only a couple odds and ends to complete, but now Rachel can enjoy setting a table that does not always have a leg falling off!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new table, it looks great!v

5:51 PM  
Blogger Missouri Rev said...

Very Good! I am always encouraged to see believers craft things by God's grace and wisdom. "Wood" you be interested in properly seasoned boards flitch cut and matched (from the same log) from woods like walnut, oak, osage orange, etc.? The reason I ask is because I am looking into to starting a mill for custom cut hardwoods from my Missouri local.

1:15 PM  
Blogger bob said...

Thanks David and missouri rev.

I'm always interested in wood, missouri! I currently buy my lumber roughsawn and kiln dried from a local sawmill. Most of the logs are felled from local woods. The owner of the sawmill is well advanced in years and I doubt when he passes that the mill will continue to operate.

If you can find access to enough timber, I think that a sawmill is a good idea. There are numerous ways to make money by wisely utilizing the resources of the woods - of course, the lumber that is sawn, the limbs can be cut and sold for firewood, the smallest stuff can be run through a chipper and sold for gardening etc.

I guess since I enjoy woodworking I might be a bit prejudiced, but I am not certain that there can be labor more enjoyable than working with wood, whether it be planing a board for a project or splitting a log for firewood. Considering that it was -15 degrees the other morning, I am grateful for the big pile of firewood out back!

Bob

6:23 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Praise the Lord for this and I think this shows love to your wife Rachel and your family.

What a great trade you are in as you seem to be able to do so much on your own to help and assist your family.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home