Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Chicken butchering






We found time to butcher about 35 roosters the past week or so. The boys selected the biggest of the roosters two at a time, which I inserted into the killing cones. Once inserted, I cut their throats and let them bleed out for a minute of so. Some folk just simply cut their heads off and let the headless birds flounder around, but I have read that cutting the vein produces a more effective bleed. I prefer having the blood all poured out into one place rather than having it scattered all over.

After the birds have bled, I scalded them in water heated in a large electric pot. 140 degrees does a good job of loosening the pores so that the feathers can be plucked off. I borrowed a plucker from a farmer that I worked for. The rubber fingers rotate and do a good job at removing the feathers. After removing the feathers, my neighbor (some of his boys are pictured) and I cut them up. I checked for any remaining feathers and cut off the head and feet while Art gutted the birds. We have consumed a couple of them now, one of them baked in the oven and another deep fried. Both of them were excellent!

We raised barred rocks, which are combination meat/egg bird. Most of the birds butchered weighed betwen 4-5 pounds dressed. We are gathering eggs now. Yesterday I found 5, which marks the most we have found thus far in a single day.

It is enjoyable to be able to tend some creatures and to use the land that God has given us to provide some of our food. I am elated that our kids have a chance to learn from these experiences that there is a reward for laboring with our hands.

1 Comments:

Blogger Missouri Rev said...

Hi Bob, I’ll bet those chickens were excellent, as well as the eggs. For sure, nothing beats raising one's own food. The agrarian lessons your children are learning are invaluable. God bless you brother!

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home