Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Book review.

It has been several months now since I set up this blog. Even though I do not spend a lot of time on it, I have grown to enjoy sharing a few of my musings every now and then. Although my father in law prefers the pictures to my musings, I guess he will just have to endure this blog entry. No pictures!

I have thought I might add a couple of items for the benefit of those that take of their time to read this. The greater benefit of this blog, though, is that it serves somewhat as a journal. I have always enjoyed the concept of a journal, for it affords you the opportunity to go back and review your journey through life. I would like to share with you occasional book reviews, partly to inform you as to what I am reading and what I thought of it, but primarily to chronicle the shaping of my thinking in light of what I have read. ( I suppose I should print this blog off from time to time, and perhaps when my children grow older, I can send them to their room and make them read my journal as a form of severe punishment!)

The last book I finished was book written by S C. Mooney entitled "Usury - Destroyer of Nations. The consideration of a biblical view of economics has been something that I contemplated much the past couple years. While the content of this book was not so startling to me as I have pondered the issue of usury (or interest) the past couple years, I can honestly say that this book is far removed from what we see in our society.

Mooney discusses the topic of usury through the form of five chapters in this small paperback of 238 pages entitled: Definition of Usury, history of Usury, Survey of Biblical Texts, Popular Excuses for Usury, and Choose This Day Whom Ye Will Serve.

We live in a society that is established upon an economy that thrives upon debt and usury. I would suggest that most of us have borrowed money at one time or another and that many of us have opened up saving account that have netted us a small percentage of interest on our money. In other words, we have either paid or received interest. Loaning money for interest was a subject that I had never considered until recently. In fact, I am not sure that I have ever heard the subject brought up in any teaching session at church.

The Scriptures say much about usury, although all of the passages are negative. The children of Israel were commanded not to charge interest to one another. (Ex 22:25, Lev 25:35-37, Deut 23:19-20) In Psalm 15, David asks, "Who may abide in Thy tent? Who may dwell on Thy holy hill?" One of his answers: "He who does not put out his money at interest." Wise King Solomon instructed his son that "he who increases his wealth by interest and usury, gathers it for him who is gracious to the poor."

The children of Israel were greedy and decided at various times that they should charge a fee for the use of money. The prophets had stern words for them: "You have taken interest and profits, and have injured your neighbors for gain by oppression, and you have forgotten me." and "if he does not lend money on interest or take increase, if he keeps his hand form iniquity and executes true justice between man and man, he is righteous and will surely live." Ez 18 and 22.

Wow! This is some disturbing instruction, considering how even most of our churches probably have money stashed in interest bearing accounts. This has not always been the case. For centuries, the church has sharply spoken out against charging interest. In fact, a few early confessions actually list usury as one of the violations of of the commandment, "Thou shalt not steal."

I cannot in this place rewrite his book, but I commend the book as an interesting read and I personally agree with much within it. Mooney writes: "covetousness breeds usury. Covetousness is more than simple desire. For the righteous, the desire for good which he does not own is what motivates him to produce those goods, or to produce other goods which he may trade for the goods he desires. There is nothing wrong with such desires. Covetousness, however, is a desire for something that belongs to another, which one would acquire unilaterally - apart from any production or trade. It is the germ of thef. It is a lusting after that which one cannot lawfully obtain. Covetousness is conceived of evil motives. In the case of usury it emanates from a natural desire for wealth that is tormented by an antecedent despising of work. Wealth comes from work. Ultimately, all wealth comes from the hand of God. As it is His decree that we work in order to live, in our experience the wealth which we acquire in this life is gotten through someone's work. The usurer avoids work, for he is under the delusion that his "money" is working."

Hmm...strong words. I think this is a subject that the church desparately needs to explore.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

That is a fantastic book. :)

3:42 PM  
Blogger S. C. Mooney said...

Thanks, Bob, for your serious study of this important issue. And thanks also for your charitable treatment of my work.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Missouri Rev said...

Bob, your strong words are well appreciated and desperately needed in the mammon worshipping churches of today. SC Mooney has indeed done a great job with this book, for it has well withstood the unrelenting attack of those who embrace usury. May we all endure unto reformation and victory.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home