Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

What happened to May?


The end of May finds me with most of the garden planted. I have to plant some tomatoes and peppers yet, as well as my butternut squash. We had decent rains once again this month, in fact, we have had above normal rainfall for the past three months. This is resulting in a lot of lawn duty, as well as an increase in the number of mosquitoes.

The chickens are entering puberty! They are growing very quickly and have most of their feathers by now. The boys and I built a fence for them last Saturday and I will soon let the chickens out of doors. They are rather comical to watch, although I have to confess that it takes little to amuse me!

The boys are turning into good little workers. Their grandpa always tells me to "work the living tar out of them." While building fence, Aaron wanted to know if this counted. Not being much of a softy, I told him "No, this is still like playing!"

I built the fence by bolting treated 2x4 to steel posts. This should provide a long term rigidity for the 4' tall poultry netting. It will also make it rather easy to adjust the penned in area for size. Presently, the fenced in area is 13 by 16. I could also add a screened "roof" rather easily if I so desired. I am not sure that we want 101 chickens running wild over our place, so for now I am kind of planning to keep them within the confines of the house and pen.

We found out that Rachel is pregnant. She has had some complications, but everything is fine for now.

We have been discussing eschatology the past few Sunday evening at church. I presented the view referred to as postmillennialism, which I might add is a view that has a lot of appeal for me. In a nutshell, postmillennialism views that Christ will return after the millennium, a period of time in which the gospel will slowly advance throughout the world until the world is largely Christian. It considers much of the prophetic passages contained in the Olivet Discourse and the book of the Revelation of already being fulfilled during the destruction of Jerusalem. This is a view that I hold to as well. I have little time for the "Last Days goofiness" that we see prevalent in the church today.

I also have been teaching through the book of James, which is a wonderful book full of simple exortations that are difficult indeed to observe. James warns us to be doers of the Word, and not hearers only. We always like to discuss and debate matters of the SCriptures. There are those times we need to just be quiet (James urges us to be "quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to wrath) and start putting into pratice that which we are reading and being taught.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

Wow didn't realize your wife is pregnant. Praise the Lord who has made your family....

Thank you so much for your email recently.....


Also wow I didn't realize you were postmil. I suppose you have more in common with the puritans that I realized......I would love postmil to be true as well, what a great testimony of the Lord'w work if this were to happen. I currently am convinced minorly on premil.

See you later,
Shawn

8:41 PM  
Blogger bob said...

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for dropping by.

Yes, Rachel is pregnant and so far as we know, all is well. She had some difficulties earlier, but she seems to be over them.

As far as eschatology, I suppose I would refer to myself as one drifting toward the postmil position.

I should send you a couple of sermons by Edwards on the subject. Very compelling!

Bob

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home