Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Signs of Fall

















As the calendar nears November, the signs of fall are visible everywhere across Ilinois as the farmers continue to harvest their crops and the leaves continue to display a splash of autumn colors.

Last weekend, we took a trip to the Mississippi River and toured some various river boats as well as examined a museum detailing a brief history of man's dealings with the big river. It was very beautiful along the river with an abundance of colorful leaves and waterfoul gathering to embark upon their yearly migrations.

Another reminder of the cooler weather is the fact that the house is starting to get chilly! One of today's chores will involve getting the fireplace ready and lighting the first fire for the fall season. We have burned wood for several years and find it a nice alternative to the ever increasing costs of LP. It is a lot of work and as we utilize a fireplace insert in the living room, all the wood has to come in to the house and all the ash has to be carried out! It's somewhat dusty and occasionally I let some smoke into the room when collecting the ash, but it is a warm, cheap fuel.

The boys have chores stacking and carrying firewood from where we store it to the house. I enjoy cutting and splitting wood, although my work in my shop sometimes leaves me little ttime to spare. Thanks to the help of my neighbor and a couple of windstorms, we have more than enough wood for the winter with a random assortment of oak, elm, maple, and birch cut, split, and dried and ready to make heat!

As a final completely unrelated remark to the midwest and fall colors, I just read that Hurricane Wilma has deposited 64" of rain north of Cancun. That's incredible! "The Lord has his way with the whirlwind, and the clouds are the dust beneath his feet."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bob,

You have a beautiful family. God has surely blessed you. It is getting cooler here a little further south down the old Mississippi as well.

I was wondering where in Il you are, north ,middle , south?

Is that your wood stack? If so you should be about done cutting for the winter I'd think.

Nice pics, good post.

Blessings,

David

7:52 PM  
Blogger bob said...

David,

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I live in northwest Illinois, about 8 miles from Wisconsin and about 40 miles from Iowa.

Yes, we burn wood for our primary source of heat. We do have a gas furnace, but we prefer to use it as little as possible to save on the gas bill and because the wood furnace does a more effective job in heating the home.

In this part of country, we started burning wood a week ago and will burn it until mid April. In the dead of winter it takes almost a full wheel barrow a day. We have enough wood for this winter with some to spare!

Bob

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say, I responded to your post over at my site. I hope you have had time to read it. I hope I didn't offend you in my respose to Andrew, or yourself.

The reason I asked about where you live is that I have family in southern Il and go up there sometimes (around Carbondale).

Have a wonderful Sabbath!

D.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home