Leverton Blog

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL

Welcome to the Leverton family blog. We are a family of six and hope to utilize this blog to share some of our thoughts and musings. We'll also try to post some pictures of the kids as well as our projects from time to time. I work as a carpenter/woodworker and also serve as an elder in a small Baptist church. Besides obviously enjoying my family and the Christian faith, I also enjoy reading, working with wood, and observing the weather.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Some thoughts by a carpenter

I am told that my family settled in southern Wisconsin well over a century ago. My forefathers traditionally were farmers and carpenters. One thing that I am now grateful for is that my dad, who owns a small construction company, insisted when I was but yet a lad that I needed to learn how to work and to learn his trade. It did not require much of a stint at college to reveal to me that I truly did love working as a carpenter.

I am presently working on a dining room table for my wife. I will soon share some pictures and some construction details for those who might be interested to see how one would go about building a table. For now, I would like to share some thoughts on woodworking and the trades in general.

While I have to say that I employ and even enjoy many of the “fruits” of an industrial era, I am dismayed by what seems to be a continuing decline of skilled artisans employing their hands and tools in an effort to produce a quality craft from which they can derive their income and contribute to the local community and economy.

Our postmodern society has become obsessed with a fast-paced, self-seeking, disposable culture that emphasizes immediate and momentary gratification. We no longer enjoy working or waiting, thus we are content to amuse ourselves by the cheap and trite offerings that a fast-paced industry is pleased to cast our way. We gorge ourselves with rotten, greasy food from the local fast food shack because we have no time or patience to sit down to a quality meal made with care. We have no desire to wait three months for a craftsman to build us a quality piece of furniture. We opt rather to throw some money for some cheap stuff made out of glue, sawdust, and plastic paper with an imprinted woodgrain. We know it won’t last, but it was cheap and we didn’t have to wait for it. It does not dawn on us that while the generations of the past were able to pass down quality goods that we collect now as antiques, there will be nothing left for us to give to our children. The particle board bookshelf would have sagged its way to the landfill by then.

When I build things for my family, I prefer to build pieces in the arts and craft style. The arts and craft movement, while employing a rather diverse spectrum of style, was unified in its abhorrence to Europe’s shift from a rural and agrarian culture to an urban and industrial one. William Morris, while born in the industrial privileged class, embraced the writings of John Ruskin (who viewed the results of industrialization as disastrous by way of destroying individual craftsmanship and local economy) and was instrumental in forging the styles of crafting that we now call Arts and Crafts.

The furniture of the Arts and Crafts movement is rather diverse, but could be described briefly as a form that emphasizes simple, solid, straight lines while employing the time-tested traditional joinery methods as well as the need of a skilled artisan to create it. Therefore, each piece usually displays exposed joinery. The movement desired to maintain the tradition of skilled craftsmen using hand tools rather than turning the artison into a factory worker that fed skilled machines!

For materials, many chose to use locally available domestic timbers such as oak and ash. Quartersawn oak was popular, particularly in America. Many pieces utilized other mediums such as custom made glass, leather, and fabrics. Hardware was often hand forged.

While I may not be able to bring back the cobbler, the blacksmith and the tailor, I hope that in some small way I can at least use the hands that God has given me to work and to exercise dominion over God’s creation. The earth is the Lord’s and all the fullness thereof, yet God has been pleased to enable us to do such things as till the land and to build things! I hope that if God is willing to allow me to live long enough, that I shall be able to pass along my meager abilities and knowledge to my own sons, and that perhaps someday a great grandchild can share with a friend, “My great grandfather built that!”

bob

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post bob! I appreciate your sharing that. It is encouraging to know that others share your vision of small hand-crafted quality goods, as compared to mass produced low quality goods.

It is true that under the current economic model we strive under there is a large disincentive to make and buy those types of goods. If we are to truly return to the old paths, in the footsteps of our forefathers, we need to be able to pass on something of a tradition to our children. This is VERY covenantal thinking.

Though not a woodworker, I am reading on other subjects such as candle-making...and am wanting to try my hand in making and selling candles at some point. One of my goals is to turn the home into a place of production, rather than a place where we merely consume goods.

I'm working on a post to put on my blog that better compares the industrial economic model to that of a more agrarian model that will elaborate on these concepts more.

But your right about our desire for instant gratification. It has even seeped into our theology I'm afraid. The health and wealth gospel prevelant in so many churches, teaches just that.

Keep up the good work!

In Christ,

David

8:26 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Wow praise God for your heart in using your work to glorify God. May God bless you

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home